Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Night

So lately I've felt the urge to blog.  I have big plans for things I want to do, things I want to change.  So I'm starting this blog mainly to keep me motivated.

I'm not that great of a writer, and I'm often all over the place, so we'll see how this goes!  In this space I plan to write about two main themes.

The first is to chronicle the attempts by myself and my dear husband, lets call him Mr. Bear, to simplify our lives and get rid of a bunch of stuff.  Stuff makes life stressful (and harder to clean), and wanting to much stuff takes money.  So we hope to be quicker at paying down our debts and living a life with less.   We want to do this also to be a good example for our son, we don't want him growing up thinking stuff and money is what life is and needs, we want him to see beyond that.

The second is to chronicle my crafting tendencies.  While I have always liked making stuff, recently I've become determined to do it more.  It can save money, and can help us lessen our contribution to our rampant consumer culture.    In particular I love sewing, and I've recently started knitting.

Otherwise, I may occasionally ramble about my mothering journey with my almost 11 month old son.  Lets call him Squiggles.  I guess I'm pretty crunchy, as they say.  I'm a breastfeeding, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing, organic semi vegetarian.  I want my child chewing on wood, not plastic, and I want him to play outside, not sit in front of a tv.  So some of that may come through in my blog :)

One final note about the title of this blog.  I didn't know what to call it, but all of the above is framed by where we spend most of our time, in our 1930's semi.  It's old, although not that old, but we love it.  I'm also an old building geek (have a Heritage Conservation degree to prove it) and so it seems appropriate.  There may even be the odd post full of my rambles on heritage and old building issues.  We live in an older neighbourhood full of bad reno's I could go on and on about....

Oh Squiggles is stirring, probably looking for a midnight snack, so that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...