Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Birthday Time!

On Saturday we had a little party to celebrate the fact that it was just over a year ago that Squiggles was born.  My how time flies!   And so of course, I wanted to do a few special little crafty things for it.  I had larger plans, but time was definitely not on my side! So I kept it simple.

I made cupcakes (Including some special gluten-free, vegan ones for Squiggles who, due to Mr. Bear having some food sensitivities and asthma, hasn't had gluten or eggs/milk yet).    The cake was good, but my decorating attempts might be considered girly.  I wanted to dye the icing blue for the letters using blueberry juice, but that didn't work, so I resorted to the only food colouring I had in the house, red.  Which, unless you use tons and tons (which I didn't want to), makes pink icing :)   Oh well, I'll plan ahead better next time!



What was more successful were my decorating attempts.  I fancied up some plan old streamers by ruffling them and joining two colours together thanks to this tutorial on MADE.   Cute eh?  I tried to make three colour ones, but gave up.  It was hard wrangling three rolls of streamers, but two was pretty easy!



A bunch of streamers and a few green and blue balloons and voila! Party!

And of course, not to be outdone by the decor, Squiggles needed some decorating too.  So I decided he should wear a bowtie.  A real bowtie you have to tie!  I followed this tutorial.  I think it worked out well!



Next time though, I definitely need to make some sort of way to just attach it pre-tied, (ie velcro or something on the back) rather than hope he sits still long enough to tie it around him!

And lastly, yay to the nice spring weather!  Squiggles loves the grass :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I frickin love the little guy's hat. He's also put me in my place, as I do not own a bow tie. Dapper guy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...