I've been wanting to sew more with knits, and the Mariposa Tee by Meg of Sew Liberated seemed a good fit. A cute way to add some splash of pattern and colour! When I bought the pattern I scoured internet sewing land for other examples, but only one appeared, which is too bad as it is a neat pattern. (I'll add though that as of yesterday another version totally showed up in Rae's Spring Top Sewing-along pool, finally, yay!)
Anyway, back to my top. It's made from a piece of organic t-shirt knit I bought on sale last summer. The accents fabrics are 2 different Amy Butler prints from her Soul Blossoms collection. Originally used to make Christmas gifts. I put some serious effort into centring the tulip flower on the back piece seem below as well as the front side pieces, worth it I think!
I made the 0-2 size for my skinny self, but cut the length to the largest size as I suspected it would have been to short with out it (I have a pretty long torso) And i think the sizing works. It's definitely meant to be a floaty unfitted top, which will be be super nice and cool for the summer!
So while the pattern isn't hard per-se, I found it pretty finicky. It was somewhat tricky to get all the little accent pieces, pressed nicely and lined up correctly when sewing. The inside of the front piece was particularly tricky as one could imagine. But it worked out, it's just isn't what I would consider a quick sew.
Uh oh! please excuse the visible thread in the above photo, but I thought I'd show you a detail and all the top stitching, which isn't completly bad :) Also, I didn't have the steam a seam stuff the pattern tells you to use to but the two pieces of the sleeve together, I just top stitched them together which seemed to work fine.
One last awkward pose to end the post! And now I now I think I might start back on prepping to sew some new things for little M! Elsie Marley's spring KCWC is just around the corner!