Saturday, September 28, 2013

Selfish Sewing Week: Lemon Saltspring Dress!

I finished something!  For me!  It's kinda miraculous!


It's the new(ish) Saltspring Dress by Sewaholic Patterns.  I've been on the lookout for a go to knit dress.  One not too simple, but not too involved, and I think I might have found it in this dress!


It's a pattern for wovens or knits, but with a good knit you can omit the back zipper which I did and it's an easy fit, and super comfy dress!  And it hides those middle bits you might not like so much too!


I'm not convinced yellow is my colour, but I thought I'd try it, and it sure brightened up my fall!  And with a sweater and some boots I think this dress, despite it's rather summer friendly looks, can be an all season dress!  And well I even wear my summer dresses in the dead of winter with sweaters and tights so for me there are no seasonal limitations on sleeveless dresses!


Despite some issues with this fabric (I really think the triangles should be point up, but thats not the way it was printed)  The weight of it was perfect, and I actually cut this from 2 meters (probably aided by cutting a size 2 and having narrower back pieces without the zipper.)  And I think it's the perfect size.  I'm a size 2 up top, but a umm.. 6 or 8 at the waist (depeding on time of day)  But all I did was cut my elastic the length recommended for the size 6 and it worked fine!  I suppose the skirt is a teensy less full, but I like it!  I Also cut the bodice and skirt longer (the length of the largest size) to accommodate my long torso and long legs!  


And bonus (and one of the reasons I like this dress) it's nursing friendly.. just untie a strap!

Now off to hopefully finish my second project before I fall asleep or a baby wakes up!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress! This is one of the nicest Saltsprings I've seen and looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the colour looks amazing on you! I'm in the process of sewing up my first Saltspring in voile, but you have convinced me that I need a knit one as well, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I want to make one in voile, but seriously, try it in knit, the absence of having to put a zipper in, is. well awesome

      Delete
  3. This dress is absolutely gorgeous on you! I love the color, the fit, the shape...EVERYTHING! It really does suit you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! yeah, I think I might like yellow now!!

      Delete
  4. This looks great! And I was wondering if the straps would make it handy for nursing ... tempted to sew one for a wedding this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the ties make the girls accessible, but be warned, make sure only one is untied at a time.. orr well... you might loose the whole dress to the floor! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...